Lactotransferrin (LFT) or lactoferrin (LF) is a glycoprotein. It is found in various secretory fluids. Milk also contains some molecules of lactoferrin. Colostrum contains a high level of lactoferrin. Fluids of our eyes, nose, Respiratory tract, intestines, and some other parts contain lactoferrin.
Lactoferrin powder benefits as a medicine
Lactoferrin powder is prescribed by the doctors for treating some health problems. It is widely prescribed because it can be absorbed readily and act fast. The following are the lactoferrin powder benefits.
- Stomach, intestinal ulcers, diarrhea, and hepatitis C is being treated with lactoferrin.
- It can act as an antioxidant and antiviral or as an antibacterial.
- Lactoferrin stimulates your immune system.
- It also helps in the prevention of tissue damage due to the aging mechanism.
- It actually promotes healthy intestinal bacterias that aid in reabsorption of vital nutrients and the excretion of waste material.
- Cancer can be prevented by taking in lactoferrin.
- Lactoferrin use can regulate the way your body processes iron for storage.
- Iron deficiency and severe diarrhea can be handled by giving lactoferrin dosage.
Lactoferrin Powder Benefits As Anti-inflammatory
Anti-inflammatory effects in human beings are evident because they contain some anti-inflammatory components. LF found in amniotic fluid plays a significant role in reducing fetal inflammation in pregnant women. It reduces IL-6 levels and reduces the infection causing fetal inflammation.
It also shows anti-inflammatory properties while it interacts with the immune system against the Epstein-Barr virus. It acts to reduce inflammation by inhibiting the activation of TLR2 and TLR9 in the virus DNA.
Lactoferrin Powder Benefits As Anti-Bacterial
The mechanism behind the purpose of lactoferrin as an antibacterial is quite simple. Bacteria use iron, so LF prevents bacteria from taking up iron in the human body. In addition to this activity, it is able to block bacteria carbohydrate metabolism, destabilize their cellulose cell walls. To stop bacteria, they interact with lysosomes in the milk.
Lactoferrin Powder Benefits in Fetal/ Infant Development
In order to adapt to develop and to adapt to their intestinal systems, infants use LF. It plays a significant role in differentiating small intestinal epithelial cells, influencing small intestinal mass, length, and enzyme expression.
In the human fetus, in the early phases of human bone development, LF can serve as a bone growth regulator. It like Oyster peptide stimulates immature astrocytes and osteoblasts to promote cartilaginous tissue growth at various stages of fetal development.
While increasing the ease of labor, LF high levels prevent infection and rupture of fetal membranes.
Is LF a safe drug?
If it is consumed in food, it does not harm you. If it is consumed by cow milk, it is safe for up to a year. It can show side-effects like diarrhea, skin rashes, appetite loss, fatigue or chills, etc.